18 October 2015

How to live without sugar? The best autumn recipe of sugarfree pumpkin pie

So my fourth week without sugar is gone. Are you still with me? Or already lost your mind in a sugary world? ;) Well, you should not get upset. I have something for you.

I think it is time to support you and share the best tricks of healthier lifestyle for your own benefits. I have to admit that I am not a robot and, of course, from time to time enjoy something sweet. But it is always a question of choice. And right at the moment when you are on your way to grab a mega fatty piece of cake, you are able to stop yourself and switch to a healthier alternative. It is always a matter of healthy choice, remember!

So when "I quit sugar"-book ended up in my hands, I did not get obsessed by the whole idea. I am always critical regarding any strict approach when we are talking about nutrition habits and getting our bodies strong and healthy. We are all humans, living in a world of a big variety of food (lucky us if compared to our ancestors). Nowadays a big popularity has a "Eat what you can find in the nature"-approach. In other words, eating what our ancestors did - only food growing from the earth, no processed food. Hello!? We are in the 21-st century. We have developed since those early days. Our bodies got used to the food we cook and are able to digest it quite well. By food here I mean normal dishes, not a ready-to-go fast food of frozen pizza. But a normal soup, meat with salad, even dessert... Not a news to our body. Important is to find a balance and know the nutritional value of the consumed food.

As autumn is in its full power, and Facebook just reminded me of a pumpkin pie I posted two years ago, I though it might be a good choice for today's recipe. I am a big fan of pumpkin and already have a couple of recipes for you (see Pumpkin 3-layer cheesecake recipe or Pumpkin cream soup - the classic one).
 Ingredients:
(for 28 cm round baking form) 

For the crust:
125 g whole wheat flour
1 ripe banana
40 g butter
2 tbsp ice cold water
1 tbsp yogurt
125 g oat meal flour or grounded oat meal
sprinkle of salt

For the Filling:
1 middle-sized Hokkaido pumpkin
4 whole eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons pumpkin spice or mix together nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves
3 tbsp rice syrup

Prepare your crust: in a large bowl combine both types of flour with salt; using pastry blender kitchen processor, cut in butter, yogurt and banana. Pour in cold water and mix well until dough starts to hold together. Wrap dough in a plastic foil and put into the fridge for about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 180 C.

Take the dough out of the fridge. Oil your baking form (mine was 28 cm in diameter) and place a thin layer of the crust into the form trying to make nice edges.

Bake the crust for 15 minutes.

While the crust is baking prepare your filling. I already shared the best tips "How to get pumpkin puree" here. So prepare the puree in advance, as it is hard to work with hot ingredients.
Mix all ingredients thoroughly together in a bowl. I used rice syrup for additional sweetness. It depends on your taste, of course. As I do not consume sugar, I feel the sweetness more than other people. Thus I used not too much of the syrup. Keep in mind that my recipes are not very strict. I prefer being creative in the kitchen and try to find substitutes in case I do not have some required ingredients.

Eventually pour filling mixture into the crust.

Bake for 45 minutes -1 hour or until centre is set.

Set aside to cool to room temperature.

I love eating smooth pumpkin pie in combination with a hot cacao. Especially when it is cold and rainy outside... Enjoy your week and eat healthy!



No comments:

Post a Comment